The ingredients is exactly the same as fried mee mamak except that the noodles is scalded instead of fried. It is served with gravy which is made of chilli and sweet potatoes.
Hawker food in Penang
by Yue Li
Source taken from: http://www.worldisround.com/
Mee Rebus Recipe
• 1-1/2 lb Fresh yellow egg or chowmein noodles
• 6 Cups beef stock
• 3 tbsp Vegetable oil
• 3 Candlenuts
• 2 tbsp Chili paste
• 1 tbsp Coriander powder
• 1/2 Inch turmeric root
• 1 Inch fresh galangal
• 20 Shallots
• 2-4 Small sweet potatoes, peeled, cooked and mashed
• Salt to taste
• 10 Shallots, thinly sliced and fried golden brown
• 4 Pre-fried tofu or soy bean cakes, cut into small cubes
• 2-3 Dried squids, reconstituted in water or fresh squid cleaned, boiled and cut into rings or bite size
• 4 Cups bean sprouts, briefly blanched
• 4-6 Prawn fritters or crackers, fried and broken into small pieces
• 3-4 Hard boiled eggs, cut in wedges
• 2 Potatoes, peeled boiled, sliced
• 3-4 Limau kasturi, cut into halves
• 4 Fresh red Serrano chilies, thinly sliced
How to make Mee Rebus:
• Grind candlenuts, chili paste, turmeric root, shallots, galangal and coriander powder into a fine paste.
• Heat pot on medium flame, add vegetable oil.
• Cook paste until quite toasted.
• Add about 5-1/2 cups beef stock, bring it to a boil.
• Slowly add the mashed potato to the stock, till a gravy-like consistency is reached.
• Add salt , decrease the heat to low, simmer gently 8 to10 minutes, add more mashed sweet potato if gravy is too thin or more beef stock if the gravy is too thick, keep gravy hot on the low-medium heat, for serving.
• Take an another pot, pour about 6 cups water, bring it to a boil, for blanching bean sprouts and warming up noodles.
• Blanch a handful of bean sprouts in the warm water, dish into a soup-plate.
• Now put a serving portion of noodles in the sieve, dunk in the warm water briefly to warm up and top it on the bean sprouts.
• Ladle piping warm gravy over noodles.
• Top with a little of each garnishing.
source taken from: http://www.indobase.com/
Kuching - Day 1
2 weeks ago